This soap was one of the batches I made for the Soap Challenge club, which I elected not to submit because I felt that the “Opposites” soap was the most striking ….. But I do love the soap, so thought I’d post a few pictures.
The soap was made using my usual slow-moving recipe, and is coloured with kaolin for the white/ background colour and activated charcoal for the 2 shades of grey. It’s scented with a blend of cedar wood and bay laurel essential oils, so has a gorgeous woody fragrance with the hint of spicy-ness that bay brings. I love it!
However, as any good soaper reading what I just wrote about “spicy” fragrances (even essential oils!) will know, spicy scents come with a risk of acceleration. And acceleration is what happened! The soap thickened up far more quickly than I’d planned, and I was extremely concerned that I wouldn’t get the wispy look that makes me love the secret feather swirl so much. If fact, this was the very first time I managed to have a textured top of a secret feather soap!
I cut the soap about 16 hours after pouring and it was already quite hard, which was amazing for an ungelled soap – or at least one with my swirling recipe! My greatest fear was the “halo” in the centre of the soap, which I feared could be a partial gel.
And a “close(r)-up” shot:
But as the soap has dried and cured, the halo has completely vanished. So here are some photos of some of the bars in all their glory:
I was initially disappointed that the soap didn’t turn out as white as I’d hoped – which is unusual with this recipe. My best guess is that this is related to the EOs, but I can’t be sure about this. Either way, I’ve decided that the creaminess of the background colour really works with the monochrome feathers …… So it really is not a problem.
Thanks for reading – and happy soaping!